ab am as



There are different programs that allow you to immigrate to Canada permanently. Answer a few questions to find out what immigration program is the right one for you!

Since January 1, 2015 there is a new system in place called “Express Entry” to select candidates with skilled work experience to immigrate to Canada. The new Express Entry system is not a new immigration program; it is a method to select eligible candidates for the existing immigration programs. As such, it consists of a two-step process:

First, eligible candidates should fill out an online profile including language test scores, educational credential assessment and details of relevant work experience and background. Only candidates eligible under an existing immigration program will be able to upload their profiles.

Based on their profile, the best-ranked candidates will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence. Once invited, the candidate has 90 days to submit all the documentation, and the total processing time is near six months.

The Express Entry system is a comprehensive ranking system that assesses the profile information of each candidate and ranks candidates among each other based on a number of factors, including:

  • skills,
  • work experience,
  • language ability,
  • education and other factors.

The highest ranking candidates are selected from the pool through regular “draws” and invited to apply to immigrate as a permanent resident.

Candidates who have a job offer or a nomination by one of Canada’s provinces or territories under their provincial nominee programs are awarded additional points to ensure they will be the first to be invited to apply.

All Express Entry candidates will be given a score out of 1,200 based on the four parts of the Comprehensive Ranking System formula:

  • Skills and experience factors
  • Spouse or common-law partner factors (such as their language proficiency and education)
  • Skills Transferability (including education and work experience)
  • Additional points for those with a nomination from a province or territory or a valid job offer

If you want to support your application with a valid job offer, your employer will need to support the job offer with a Labour Market Impact Assessment. This process requires the employer to obtain authorization for Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to hire a foreign worker.

Similarly, a nomination by a province or territory, will give a candidate additional points  to rank high enough to be invited to apply at the next eligible draw of applicants.

You can qualify for the following economic programs:

Federal skilled workers

Skilled workers can become permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other factors. These things often help them succeed in Canada.

People can apply to immigrate to Canada under “Federal skilled worker” category. Skilled workers apply under this class if they want to live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec.

Skilled workers who wish to live in Quebec use under a separate category. The province of Quebec selects its skilled workers. Applicants who intend to go to Quebec are “Quebec-selected” skilled workers.

Federal Skilled Trades Program

To be eligible, you must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Canadian Experience Class

You must:

  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization,
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec.


Immigration Refugees and citizenship
iccrc-crcic info