ab am as




There are many different types of schools and institutions in Canada. For more information and listings of schools, contact the organizations listed below for each institution type, or consult:

  • Study in Canada, the Government of Canada website on this topic.
  • the Ministry of Education of the province in which you would like to study.


You need the following documents to apply for a study permit:

  1. Proof of acceptance
  2. Proof of identity
  3. Proof of financial support
  4. Letter of explanation

In addition to these documents, you may have to provide other information when you apply for a study permit.


It is recommended you apply for a study permit as early as possible. It may take several months to be accepted at a college or university, and prepare all the paperwork to apply for a study permit.

 Essential documents

To enter Canada, you will need to present the following:

  • A Canadian immigrant visa (if applicable) and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member traveling with you
  • A valid passport or other travel document for each family member traveling with you
  • Two (2) copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you
  • Two (2) copies of a list of items that are arriving later and their money value

 Other documents you may need 

  • Birth certificates or baptismal certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Adoption, separation or divorce papers
  • School records, diplomas or degrees for each family member traveling with you
  • Trade or professional certificates and licenses
  • Letters of reference from former employers
  • A list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience (for your résumé)
  • Driver’s license, including an International Driver’s Permit and a reference from your auto insurance company
  • Photocopies of all essential and important documents, in case the originals get lost (be sure to keep the photocopies in a separate place from the originals)
  • Car registration documents (if you are importing a motor vehicle into Canada)


If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must complete a new application. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.


It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student. In most cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

  • Work on campus

If you are a full-time student and have a valid study permit, you can work on campus at the educational institution where you study. You can work on campus meaning within the boundaries of your educational institutions’ campus without a work permit. Your campus employer can be your institution, a private business or a private contractor providing services to your institution. You may also work for a faculty member as a research assistant, teaching assistant or graduate assistants and will be still considered as on campus employment.

  • Work off campus

You can also work off-campus while you study in Canada as long as you have a valid study permit and are enrolled in a designated learning institution (DLI) full time. The DLI should be a post-secondary academic, vocational, or professional training program. You may work off campus for maximum 20 hours per week during regular semester but during scheduled institution breaks like reading week, summer or winter holidays you may work full-time during such breaks.

  • Work as a co-op or intern

There are programs that will allow you to work as a co-op or intern as part of your academic program because your program has a work experience component. Students in such programs may be eligible for a work permit. You must provide a letter from your DLI that states the the work is a component of your academic program and it must be completed in order for the you to receive your degree, diploma, or certificate.

  • Stay in Canada after graduation

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) is available for students who before graduation hold a valid study permit from a DLI and are about to the graduate from a post-secondary institution. You may apply for the PGWP which is an open work permit ( not job-specific nor does it require a LMIA).


Immigration Refugees and citizenship
iccrc-crcic info